40th birthday ideas can range from a fun Over-the-Hill
theme to an elegant cocktail party. The type of party you choose should fit the personality of the birthday person being
celebrated. If they're easily offended
or don’t have a sense of humor, then an Over-the-Hill theme probably won’t go
over very well. I don’t think turning 40 makes you
over the hill and I wouldn’t be offended if my family and friends had a fun
time with it, but there are people who would be, so consider carefully. Anyway, isn’t 40 the new 30? Forty is fabulous!
When planning 40th birthday ideas it's best to start with a theme. The theme could be based on anything but keep the birthday celebrant's interests in mind while planning the party. Here are some themed 40th birthday ideas you might want to consider:
After age 35 our skin and hormones begin to change. We begin to notice a few lines and wrinkles and changes in the texture of our skin and perhaps hair and nails, too. A luxurious spa theme might be the perfect pick me up for those turning 40, especially for those who aren’t real happy about it! Emphasize that “40 is fabulous” throughout your spa theme!
A spa party can be held at a home or at a spa. Depending on the number of people in your
party, you might be able to negotiate a group rate on services at a local spa. Or, you may be able to get something free such as an
extra service, a light lunch, or a product. Invite a group of guests who are willing to pay for their own services and then committ to chipping in for the birthday girl/guy (hey, some guys like spas too!).
If you can’t afford to do this then create an at-home spa.
Here are 40th birthday ideas for an at-home spa party...
Create stations for each activity. Pick and choose which ones fit your space & budget. Provide a basket with a pair of fluffy slippers or flip-flops for each guest and a few spa type products like hand cream, lotions, bath salts, or lip balm. These baskets can be used as take home favors, or include items to be used for the party. Provide headbands, or cut lengths of terry cloth into strips for guests to use for keeping hair off their face while trying products. Depending on how many guests are attending will determine how many stations to have. Try not to have more than 2 or 3 per station at a time.
This wonderful smelling bath scrub would make a nice addition to the guest baskets, or buy one to use on hands before the manicure station to make them soft and smooth:
Another great addition to basket:
Here are some 40th birthday ideas for different spa party stations:
Spa Theme Skin Care & Make Up Ideas
1. Call a Mary Kay Cosmetics consultant, Avon representative, or talk to a cosmetology school, or a cosmetologist at the beauty counter of your favorite department store to arrange a demo of products or provide facials in your home. If you can’t find someone, it's okay, everyone can just do their own, or help each other.
2. Purchase several different masks, cleansers, and moisturizers. Focus on anti-aging products. Provide plenty of warm, wet, rolled washcloths on a pretty tray & allow guests to try the different products. Be sure to provide mirrors and plenty of single use supplies, such as cotton swabs, disposable applicators or brushes. Use wooden sticks or small spoons to keep fingers out of containers. Provide containers or baskets for disposing of used washcloths and applicators.Reviva Hawaiian Seaweed Beauty Face Mask For All Skin Types - 1.5 Oz
Spa Theme Hair & Nails Ideas
1. If affordable, hire a hair stylist to come to your home and provide blowout services or styling services.
2. Include a tray of hair clips, headbands, or travel size styling products to try, or to give as favors.
3. See if you can get a manicurist to come to your home to offer manicure services. If you can’t find one to come to your home, then have a table with a chair that displays a tray of various nail polishes and products for them to try. Be sure to have nail polish remover and plenty of cotton balls, too! Include a bottle of nail polish in favor bags.
I like that this remover is anti-bacterial, especially if you have multiple people using the same bottle:
These cotton balls are a good size and they're organic:
Finish the manicures off with a top coat:
Spa Theme Massages
Hire a masseuse or massage therapist to provide
10 minute chair massages in your home for each guest. Contact
massage therapy schools to see if you can find a better deal.
Chiropractors often will provide this service
for free with the hopes of turning you into a client. Sometimes it’s
matter of completing a short questionnaire listing your aches and
pains. Then they tell you they can fix your
ailments, if you have any, at their offices.
Take their business card and say thanks…hey, it’s an option worth
pursuing. The chair massages are comfortable and quicker, so if you
have quite a few people then everyone will get their turn.
2. If you can’t afford to hire a masseuse, then look for massage products, such as a wooden foot or back roller or small hand held massagers. Have them out for guests to use, or offer as another favor. A small massage lotion, loofah, or bath scrubbies are other great items to use for spa theme favors.
Note: If you are going to contact hair stylists, skin & makeup consultants, manicurists, or massage therapists, tell them what you are planning and how you intend to have several stations, each offering a different service, and you would like to include them in one of the stations. Allow them to set up a table offering brochures, business cards and/or products that they can hand out or sell to those who may be interested. Make it a win-win for you, your guests AND for them. Don’t try to deceive them just to get a free service. You need to make it worth their time and effort to come and do this for you, either by paying or tipping them, or the ability for them to make a potential sale or gain a client.
Spa Theme Food & Beverage Ideas
1. Depending on time of day offer Mimosas, Bloody Mary’s, or wine.
2. Have pitchers filled with ice water with cucumber slices, iced tea with lemon slices, and/or lemonade with strawberries.
3. Have a healthy luncheon buffet that includes various field greens, slices or chunks of lean cooked chicken breast or other protein options, toppings and dressings.
4. Fruit kebobs or a watermelon basket filled with fruit.
5. Homemade muffins or fresh crusty whole grain breads.
See our sweets theme for dessert ideas!
A spa themed 40th birthday party idea is a wonderful way to ease the pain, so to speak, of turning 40. Everyone will relax, enjoy, and hopefully feel refreshed upon leaving.
Another Year Fabulous 40 Mylar Balloon
40th Birthday Ideas For Spa Theme
Cake & Other Sweets:
This is a birthday party, so even if you are sticking with a healthier spa theme, you still have to have cake or dessert, right? Keep portions and calories under control with bite-size dessert offerings displayed on a sweets table. Bite-size desserts are also much more fun to eat! See our Sweets Theme for dessert ideas and links.Vintage Vixen 40 Ultimate Kit-N-Kaboodle Vintage Vixen 40 Basic Kit-N-Kaboodle Kit
A cute 40th birthday idea for a centerpiece is to use this "40" holder to display a fun photograph of the birthday celebrant, or use it to secure a few helium balloons to make a balloon centerpiece:
If the birthday celebrant can handle a bit of humor about themselves, then an Over-the-Hill themed birthday party is a fun way to celebrate a 40th or 50th birthday. The meaning behind “over the hill” is suppose to represent that you’ve climbed the hill of life and you are now going over the hill and down the other side, or in other words…your life is half over and you are officially "old"! This is not true, of course…at least I hope not, because that would mean I’m ancient! If you throw an over-the-hill party it should all be done in good fun.
Black is often used to represent the birthday person's death to their younger years. Gag gifts are often given that may include items such as adult diapers, canes or denture cream. There are many items including balloons, plates, napkins and other accessories that include an Over-the-Hill theme.
A birthday party centerpiece for this type of party might include a black floral bouquet (you can paint an inexpensive bouquet from a grocery store with black floral spray).
Another idea might be to make large numbers representing the year (40, 50...) out of a piece of foam. Paint them black, stand them up and attach to a wood base. Add cute, humorous sayings such as "lordy, lordy, look who's 40".
Here are some great Over-the-Hill products and gag gift ideas:The Party Continues At 40 Deluxe Kit-N-Kaboodle Party Continues @ 40deluxe Kit-N-Kaboodle Kit
Every "old fart" needs a cane, right?
Here's a fun and unique 40th birthday idea for a decoration:
A few popular 40th birthday ideas for gag gifts:
So many sweets! So many ideas! A sweets theme or cupcake theme is a fun 40th birthday idea. Use sweets and/or cupcake themes throughout your decorations, invitations, and other party supplies. There are a lot of cute ones available....like the ones shown below!
Offer coffee, tea, and water to drink. For the over 21 crowds…serve a specialty cocktail, a pumped up hot cocoa or some nice dessert wines. If serving alcohol, you might want to include a few appetizers or finger sandwiches in addition to your sweets table.
Here are some basic tips for how to make a dessert buffet. Decorate the table using the party colors you’ve chosen. The desserts being served should also reflect the color theme, so if you choose pink and white as your party colors, then use pink and white icing, candies, and decorations. Use various shades of pink to keep it interesting. Adjust the height of the items displayed, too. Use tall glass vases filled with candy, place cupcakes on a cupcake stand, use a tiered dish or cake display stand to raise plates, etc. You can even hide empty boxes underneath napkins or table cloths to raise items. Include all kinds of bite-size sweets on your dessert buffet to make it easier for guests to eat. By keeping portions small it allows guests to sample more treats! The birthday year being celebrated can be represented in the candles, plates, napkins, banners, or centerpieces as well as writing it on cakes or cupcakes with icing or using decorative picks.
Whether 40th birthday ideas or kid's birthday ideas every age loves cupcakes! This kit includes everything you'll need. Just add sweets:
Here's a 40th birthday party idea...use these cute pics in cupcakes or other food items to represent a 40 year birthday or anniversary:
Here are links to instructions and photos for a few more 40th birthday ideas on some great dessert items to display for a dessert table:
1. Cake Pops